Wednesday, October 12, 2011

AHHH!!! Internet Access Again!!

Back in contact with the tech world today!! We are in New Delhi and in about 13 hours will begin our trek back to the States. The past couple days we have not had Internet access have been FULL ones. Let me TRY to recap.

We left Damoh on Monday morning and drove south to Jabalpur. It was about a three hour drive, and the roads were better than those we'd traveled earlier, although that is not saying a whole lot! :-)

On the way there, we saw an elephant working carrying things down the road. He was a Hindu elephant, was painted up the way a Hindu would decorate it. Our driver tried to stop so we could get pictures, but the man with the elephant started yelling, "one minute only1" and was charging us to snap pictures. Only thing is, the elephant never stopped, and by the time my camera was on and the window was down, he was almost gone. I did get two snapshots which you will see later. The one that is a closeup was NOT zoomed in. We were that close.

We stopped also to see some waterfaalls and a canyon. Not the same as the Grand Conyon, but it was pretty and had enough scrub bushes it made a good place to stop, if you get my drift....

Once in Jabalpur we checked in at our hotel. It also was a Hindu run place -- there was always incense burning by a little brass idol. Mike thought this hotel was better than the one we'd stayed at in Delhi on our arrival, but he's wrong. The beds were a bit softer, the pillows bigger, but hard, it had hot water, but it wasn't as clean. The guys got a room with two twin beds that I guess was pretty pitiful.

We had tea in the restaurant to tide us over until the lunch we were to have with the Mercy Home girls. About 1:30 we headed over there.

The girls at the home were a delight! Their home is not very wide -- about wide enough to have two rows of tables running lengthwise, and then some extra space at the front. We sat at the front -- that is the accepted place for guests of honor -- kind of makes one feels like they are on display at all times.

The girls put on a short program for us. Singing and dancing. Apparently, they go to churches where there are dance competitions (to Christian music). They have several small trophies and placques for winning. They had one group in costumes of red and black silkly fabric that made me think they might be doing flaminco dancing, but of course it wasn't.

Then we toured the rest of the house. There were three "houses" (dorm rooms) -- the Blue House, the Yellow House, and the Green House. Each house is home to about 10 girls. They do not separate them by age, but have mixed ages in every house, mixing the girls as family. The main room is wall-to-wall beds. Then there was another small room that held their belongings. Each girl had a small metal box. I didn't measure, but I'd guess they were about 18 X 30 and 12" deep (just guessing). In each was all their personal belongings. They had another box where they kept all their girl foo-foo stuff.

We ate lunch there -- chicken curry, fresh veggies, and the requisite rice. It was pretty good. Also dal tortilla type things. Dal is a word that encompasses many types of lentils. These remind me of corn tortillas that are fried, but much thinner. I really like them and hope to find them in the States. I think their real name is Papan.

Then the men of the group left to walk down the block to a room the mission keeps where they can stay while on business in town. I stayed with the girls (men RARELY at allowed in the home, so they needed to make their visit short). The girls and I tried to talk with their limited English and my non-existent Hindi. I was able to show them pictures of Katie and Matt on my iPad. (Thanks Katie for loading those pics of you -- they were the only pics I have on there, and could have used more!) I was able to tell them and show them what "red hair" looks like. They enjoyed seeing the pics and said Katie is beautiful -- Oh, the way to a Mom's heart!!!..... :-) I showed them an old game we used to play in school using pennies. We had a nice visit.

Oh, and one of the best parts -- we decided to use the bulk of our Changing India funds here. The home doesn't have a computer; we decided to give them funds for a computer. Plus, we are funding getting them bunk beds. Their living arrangements are so cramped, that's were we are putting the bulk of our funds. Rob has on video the reaction.

Good visit.

After this we went for supper at David Lall's favorite Chinese Restaurant. It was alright, but I won't put it at the top of my list... Maybe I didn't get the right thing.

Back to the hotel for a toss-and-turn night of rest. Breakfast the next AM in the hotel restaurant, then to visit some of the church buildings in Jabalpur. Remember, this is now Tuesday, so church isn't in session. I guess it's "OK" to do church stuff on a Sunday, but aft4er that, the people come under suspicion and difficulties to meet.

We went to the first church in Jabalpur and met the preacher and his wife and daughter. The church runs about 70 on a Sunday AM and 100-200 for special programs. They showed us their first meeting room which is now the preacher's kitchen. Wow, small and dark. The building is light and well cared for.

Then we changed vehicles into a narrower one to get the the next church. This was to be a very quick in-and-out trip as it was not safe for us to spend a long time there and wouldn't be safe for the preacher to be seen with us. This building was smaller, but also nice (Indian nice, not U.S. nice). Itg turns out this building was dedicated several years back by Dr. David Sholl, a physician from Tulsa who incidentally delivered both Elisabeth and Katie.

The third building we visited was the smallest. This congregation has few baptized believers, but several "seekers". When we arrived there, the building was full. There were three rows from front to back full of men, and one row of women. They presented us with -- you know what -=- marigold garlands (oh yes, one of the other churches did too!). Then they sang using the instruments I've mentioned earlier. Then Rob preached or gave a quick greeting/devotion. Then time to leave.

Our companion (David had left for Damoh), Shereesh (don't know how to spell it) told us it would be 30 minutes back to the hotel. Well, I knew what his 30 minutes is, and needed to use the bathroom, so I used the churches. The Indian bathroom is sometimes know as a Squatty Potty. I got the situation figured out and it was a good thing. Enough said.

Then to get some lunch. We ate at the Traffic Jam Food Stop. This place had a variety of cuisines, so we ate fish-and-chips. Indian food can be SOOOOOOOO spicy we figured we were safe with that.

Then off to shop. I was hoping to go to some quaint native shops where we could get some small things to take back. They took us to what I considered pretty upscale, because I couldn't afford to get what I was looking for. I did find some reasonably priced things, but it took a while. Mike found a pair of sandals at a shoe store -- only paid about $7.

Then, it was time to head back and get ready to board the night train to Agra. We were in Clas AC One on the train. This is a compartment for four with two benches facing each other. Then when time for bed, two overhead berths fold down from the wall and two lower berths fold down into beds. The porter brings a brown sack containing clean sheets and a pillow, plus wool blankets. Thus begins one of the worse nights "sleep" I had..... :-) I think the berth was the hardest place I slept, and the pillow was equally hard. The train was not a non-stop, but started and stopped through the night. I DID sleep, but it was so hard.....

Morning brought us to Agra, the home of the Taj Majal. We went to a hotel (the worst one yet, but it DID have hot water). We had one large room there and we only used it so we could clean up and have a safe place to store our luggage for the day.

Off to the Taj. Words CANNOT do this place justice!! It was incredible and I even had Rob pinch my arm once to prove that I was actually there!! We took gobs and gobs of pictures. Shereesh had gotten us a guide who was thorough in showing us everything. We'll just have to tell you about it. I don't have enought computer time left to tell you all.

Then on the shop some more -- again, shops we couldn't afford!! But we got to see HOW some of the inlay work at the Taj was completed by current craftsmen using the same methods. I saw one box (I collect boxes) there that was about 5" in diameter and cost $6,000!!!!!!

Then they took us to see the Star of India, a type of precious stone native to here. Again, waaaayyyy expensive.

Then off to the train again to bring us to Delhi last night. The heat of the day was so oppresive, we were miserable. The train was late and we didn't get on it until about 6PM. We again had berths in AC cabins, but it wasn't their first class. So, the compartments didn't close and lock -- only curtains -- and we weren't all together. We were in two different compartments -- originally in three, but some moved to be together. I tried to sleep, but was so tired and miserable I couldn't. Remember -- hard berths? Although it was A/C, I still felt icky from all the sweat and overheating of the day -- it was just cold clamminess.

Got to Delhi about 10PM. OHHHHH the masses on humanity and the rush on the train platform............... This was the first place in India I felt STANK. There was just so much humanity and filth. So glad this scene wasn't my first in India. It took a while to get out of there and get our cabs. I WAS SO THANKFUL FOR SHEREESH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would have been terrifying without him. I put the video camera in my ever-expanding bag the kids at Oasis of Love gave me. (That bag makes me feel like Mary Poppins -- it seems there is always room for more!!) Shereesh told Rob to get it out of site! Beggars and pickpockets, you know.

The taxis got there and took us to the YWCA. I was hoping for at least a clean bathroom and be able to really feel clean. THANK YOU GOD!!! The place was clean and immaculate. I got a cool shower -- I couldn't wait long enough for the califont to heat up water. It's amazing how clean hair and a clean, unsweaty body will improve one's spirit.

The beds were again HARD, but a decent pillow. Two Benadryl later and I got the best sleep of the trip! Slept in. Got breakfast compliments of the Y, and now Internet access! We are due to leave in 7 minutes. We will see some of Delhi and try to find some souveniers -- hopefully at a decent-priced place!

Must run. We will head to the airport about 9PM Delhi time. That is about 10:30 AM your time. Then off to America!!

Pray for us! We love you and miss you. Gotta run. Don't have time to proof this, so pardon the typos and grammar!!!

Jacque

No comments:

Post a Comment